Event Staff Overview
The Event Staff is one of many work areas within the Department of Student Engagement and Leadership, primarily based at Legends and occasional events in the PSU and across campus. Event Staff provide supervision for evening events that greatly enhance the recreational and social atmosphere at Appalachian.
The Event Staff usually maintains a twenty-five student staff (+/-).
Event Staff Employee Expectations:
- Work as a team to execute event set ups and manage well-run, safe events.
- Events often take place on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights, between the hours of 8pm and 12:30am in a nightclub atmosphere. Opportunity for additional hours in the PSU are regularly requested.
- Hours vary from week to week, depending on scheduled events; shift sign-ups occur weekly or bi-weekly.
- Event Staff employees are immediately supervised by Event Staff Student Managers; a leadership opportunity available annually to all Event Staff.
- Event Staff employees assist with load in and load out of heavy equipment.
- Event Staff provide and maintain a clean facility for the enjoyment of patrons.
- Enforcement of all appropriate state laws and university policies regarding the consumption of alcohol.
- All members of the Event Staff are required to be certified through the (TIPS® Training for Intervention Procedure). Program, providing student staff with various ways to recognize the effects of intoxication on students who wish to drink (legally) at our events. Promoting responsible drinking is part of sound risk-management.
The Work Environment
Legends is the largest of our programming venues, with capacity for 1000 patrons, and ranges from larger to smaller regional acts, speakers, and special events. Whitewater has a capacity of 150 patrons, and is booked by small bands, clubs and organizations for functions and dances. Events in the Plemmons Student Union range in size and scope, and can be in Whitewater, Solarium, Parkway or any of the special event rooms. Occasionally, Event Staff are asked to serve in other venues, such as Holmes Convocation Center for larger concerts & events.
Please contact Shawn Ashford at firstname.lastname@example.org or 828-262-3032 with questions.
190 Hardin Street
Boone, NC 28608
Department of Student Engagement and Leadership
231 Plemmons Student Union
Appalachian State University
Boone, NC 28608
(828) 262-2208 (During event hours only)
(828) 262-3030 (During non-event hours - Plemmons Student Union Info Center)
(828) 262-3032 (Facility members, Monday-Friday, 8am-5pm only)